Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Gateway


Eric, my sister Katie and I went to the mall today to use some gift certificates. Growing up in Lincoln, Gateway was always the cool mall (and only one of two). It's not called Gateway any longer. It is only one of a whole slew of Westfield shopping centers. It used to be small and quaint and many of the stores were actually only accessible from the out of doors. In fact, there used to be a neat little water fountain where all of the children of Lincoln would throw in their coins and whisper their wishes into the air. One day my friend and I sat on the edge of the fountain and dipped our hands in long enough to steal thirty-five cents each. Just for the sheer thrill of it. It was perfect because on the other side of the fountain was a fast food joint called Amigos where they sold twenty-nine cent burritos. We ate lunch on the dreams and wishes of Lincoln children that day.

Today, in the same spot as that old fountain there now stands a carousel. I like to think that it came about by the children tossing their coins and wishing for something better in the mall than a lame water fountain. I don't like to think about how it might have been an even better carousel had I not eaten the burrito that day long ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool photography!