Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Black Squirrel


The picture was taken from far away, so this feels more like a Sasquatch sighting. But I saw a black squirrel today! For those of you who live in or around Omaha, Nebraska, this is no big thing since you have one of the largest population of them in the world, but we think they're pretty cool around here. (Yes, I speak for millions.) Scientists have determined that black squirrels aren't their own separate species but are a variation of the grey squirrel where a fairly rare genetic variation has kicked in. They are a "melanistic morpheme" or in hip science people speak, "color morph." They are sort of albino... except the opposite.
Not only did I see a black squirrel today, but I also came across a cool publication called Chicago Wilderness Magazine. I'm a big and sudden fan. Click the title above to see what they say about black squirrels.

No comments: