Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Diner Grill


Oh, a gem has been found. There's a little diner that we pass on our way to screenwriting class called the Diner Grill. Tonight we finally stopped in at this little whitewashed building (formerly two old train cars) and sat on two of the ten stools along the counter. There are no tables and there is no pretense. The grilled cheese was warm and gooey and even though I wanted a chocolate shake like Eric ordered, I needed a diet coke to stay alert through class. The guy behind the counter looked into my face and knew me in a moment. And he poured the rest of Eric's shake into a separate glass for me. Now mind reading...that's service. This great little joint on the edge of the Lakeview neighborhood has been around, in one form or another since the 30s. They are open 24 hours 7 days a week and are known as one of Chicago's best people watching spots. They are famous for what they call The Slinger, which is comprised of hash browns, grilled onions, two cheeseburger patties and two eggs over easy covered in chili. There is actually a sign taped to the wall that says "The SLINGER. Don't ask, just eat." It's such a mess that the diner will award you a certificate if you can eat it in one sitting. And no, I will never have that certificate. But cheers to places that name their food concoctions things like "slinger" and "garbage omelet." They make me certain that I live in Chicago.

No comments: