Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Amiee Mann and Co. at the Vic


I must give Erin a high-five for introducing me to Amiee Mann. I suppose that I already knew a couple of her songs but I probably wouldn't have gone to see her without the invite and quality sales pitch. But I'm sure glad I did. She does an annual Christmas show tour and it's really one-of-a-kind. It's a variety show, you know Bob Hope style, and there are several guests and some really intriguing Christmas music. Some original, some traditional and, like her cover of "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch," all of it fun. There was a short film Amiee made (with Ben Stiller, Weird Al, Will Ferrel, John Krasinski etc.), some comedy, some other musical guests, and even a visit from the rapping Hanukkah fairy. And all of this, at The Vic, an old Chicago vaudeville house (once called The Victorian") that still charms us even through the peeling paint and crumbling wall statues. But back to the show, there was one Nellie McKay in the show and I really liked her. I came home and looked her up and she is wonderfully weird. No one song does the job of showing who she is...but I chose this one to share with you.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hooray for Aimee! That was seriously one of the best shows I've ever been to. It was SO much fun. Particularly, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Jack Frost nipping at your nose. Tiny tots being hung by a choir.........wait a minute. I just fucked up this whole song." I don't even remember the last time I laughed so hard I cried! And the chocolate chip pancakes at Clarks were the perfect nightcap. :)

Erin said...

P.S. It's Aimee, not Amie (I really tried to resist, but my inner editor was screaming...many apologies...)

Jessie said...

Ah! I knew it didn't look quite right. At least I didn't call her Jewel. :)