Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Traditions


In our little two-person family we put up a little pink christmas tree, listen to quite a lot of The Dean Martin Christmas Album, make several jokes about celebrating the First Leon and send out Christmas cards of questionable taste. Somehow, this year, the season slipped away from us. Tomorrow we embark on the trip back to Nebraska and I'm suddenly realizing the Chicago traditions that we've missed. One being Christkindlmarket Chicago a German market set up downtown in Daley Plaza, and The Christmas Carol at the Goodman Theater (how do I never get sick of that story?). Other things that go on around town is the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival (can't handle this pre-thanksgiving event), The CTA Holiday Train, which includes a flatbed that carries Santa's sleigh (he walks through the train handing out candy canes with his elves, (you know you love it)), and the adorning of Macy's windows. I'm not usually drawn to the window decorations, but I hear that this year the theme is Mary Poppins and somehow, Mary Poppins makes animatronics strangley and wonderfully okay with me. (Much like Tim Burton movies and 1950s ads where foods have faces are strangely and wonderfully okay with me.) I might have to catch Mary on our way back into town.

2 comments:

Erin said...

So, whoever told you that the Macy's windows were Mary Poppins lied to you. They are actually "The Nutcracker" (I walk past them everyday on the way back to the train from work). They are also quite creepy--the figurines look like they could be distant relatives of Chucky. Yikes!

Jessie said...

Bummer. Well, you've saved me a trip to Macy's. For that, many thanks. Maybe Mary Poppins was another time. But boy, I tell you, the Nutcracker, THAT'S novel.