Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Girlhood in Iran


I always seem to be behind the times. But thanks to Erin I have finally read the graphic novel Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi and currently can't put down Persepolis 2. I have never read a graphic novel nor do I know all that much about the Islamic Revolution in Iran. It seemed sort of a strange combo but surprisingly, the simple drawings, scarce words and one woman's memoir, opened up a little known world to me. I highly recommend the read. It's like sitting down to the fun of comic books (okay, I've never read those either) but realizing that you've got some compelling literature on your hands.

2 comments:

allison said...

Although I haven't read Persepolis myself (for shame, I know), if you're feeling a little graphic novel kick coming on, I would highly, highly, highly, avidly recommend following up with Alison Bechdel's Fun Home. It's just insanely beautiful and brilliant.

Jessie said...

Ooh thanks! I breezed through the graphic novel section at Borders yesterday but had no idea where to begin so I left with nothing. Fun Home it is!