Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Albany Park


I've driven over to Albany Park a few times this week. It's a northwest neighborhood in Chicago that I've never spent any time in. I must say, I like it a lot. There are billions of eateries, corner taverns, and little convenience markets catering to loads of separate ethnic groups. In a way it reminds me of Rogers Park in it's diversity except that Albany Park is a bit more tightly packed in. It's in a constant bustle. I bought a big puffy chocolate cookie at a Mexican bakery and a couple of oranges just steps away at a small market with essentials like fruit.

Way back when it was a little countryside get away for people who enjoyed horse races. Yep, there was once one Rusk Race Track and a very profitable brickyard to boot. By the turn of the twentieth century the area had been settled by German and Swedish populations and they were soon to be followed by Russians. Today some of these people remain but new waves of immigrants have washed over since the late 70s bringing Mexican, Korean, Guatemalan, and Filipino families to call Albany Park home.

No comments: