Monday, January 21, 2008

Chicago History Museum


Eric and I perused the Chicago History Museum today. I took this picture in Diorama Hall (my favorite part) and even though I'm sure most of you know about the Great Chicago Fire, I'll give you a little review.

At about 9 p.m. on Sunday October 8 1871, a fire quietly sprang to life on the Southwest side of Chicago. Strong winds that night blew the fire wildly out of control through a young city constructed largely of wood. People actually reported seeing giant fireballs flinging through the air. Thirty-six hours later the fire finally went out (with the help of a little rain) but left 2,000 acres destroyed 300 people dead, and 100,000 people (a third of the population) homeless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the new Chicago Postcard Museum at ChicagoPostcardMuseum.org for a virtual look at chicago history via postcards.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, but I actually took a class ont the history of Chicago at Webster! I don't remember much of it, but the book was big and there was a fire!
-Jillian