Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Books


I know this borders on listing the types of cereal we have in the cupboard or detailing the way I organize my sock drawer but really I just thought the sunlight on the bookcase was neat this morning. I have the photo, so now I'm going to write about the books I'm reading. I have a perpetual stack of books on the coffee table that I am reading through depending on what floats my boat at any given moment. This usually requires about four or five books to be going on at the same time. This makes the process of finishing a book much slower (and I am already a slow reader), but here are the books that I've been staring at for a while now.

1. Finding Flow: The Psychology of Engagement with Everyday Life By Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (Most compelling book at the moment.)
2. She Got Up Off the Couch and Other Heroic Acts from Moorland, Indiana By Haven Kimmel (Entertaining sequel to A Girl Named Zippy)
3. Goddess of the Americas: Writings on the Virgin of Guadalupe Edited by Ana Castillo (Feeding my constant hunger for Latin America.)
4. Inventing the Truth: The Art and Craft of Memoir Edited by William Zinsser (I'm reading this because I'm teaching memoir writing to seniors. I myself am waiting until I'm thirty and insightful to start my own. Okay thirty-five. Maybe forty. I think I'll call it My Sock Drawer.)
5. A travel guide to Puerto Rico (48 days and 15 hours to go!)
6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close By Jonathan Safran Foer (Patiently waiting as I am about to finish numbers 1 and 4.)

No comments: