Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Second Grade


In second grade I had an elderly nun as my teacher. She didn't like us and we didn't like her. She spit when she talked and squeezed our arms when we talked. One afternoon another child and I managed to follow her around. We stayed close enough behind her that we could see up her veil and that she couldn't see us. She didn't even seem to miss us for those couple of hours. And for this I am sure I will experience hellfire. Purgatory won' t even be part of the discussion. Me inside of the pearly gates will be a good joke series St. Peter will tell when Jesus is down about the state of the world.

When I was in Nebraska last week I found a picture of her standing up next to our first communion class. We looked like angels with our hands folded and our baby teeth smiles. She, even though her hands were also folded, was glaring sideways with a drill sergeant pucker of the lips. I'm not sure of what she was waiting for. Maybe for one of us to grow up and write about her on our blog.

It's weird. Sometimes when I'm sitting in the office trying to write or get work done I instead play with this wind-up toy nun and watch her march across my desk shooting sparks out of her mouth. But I must admit I always get back to work when I think back to my huge second grade pencil and my thick pad of lined paper that would inevitably be smacked with an old hand and splat with saliva circles when I dilly dallied.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I give this to you? I have a scary feeling I did...my mom found them, I think, then I had to have one to give to you, if I was the one who gave it to you...I shall suffer since I gave it to you:( !

Jessie said...

Now that you mention it, I think you DID give it to me! At one point I actually had two but I wore one of them out. :)

Anonymous said...

Really?!!

Jessie said...

Why yes, anonymous, really.

andrew said...

Awesome! That was very funny. I can almost see this nun in my head.
You should call her up some time. Maybe you could send her a 2 foot long pencil with a note asking her to write you a letter.
Those pencils were not fun.

Jessie said...

:) I'd totally do that, but, and I hate to say it, there's no way she's still alive. Good grief.