Thursday, June 26, 2008

Go Cubs Go


I don't know the names of any of the players, I don't have a Cubs t-shirt, and before last night, I didn't even know that the team was in first place this season. But I sure do love to spend at least one Chicago summer night at Wrigley Field, the second oldest ballpark in the US. It was the perfect weather and the perfect seat to watch the Cubs spank the Orioles and to eat my weight in peanuts. For dessert, a chocolate malt cup that comes with a tongue depressor/utensil that makes the whole thing taste like wood. And, naturally, at some point, I had heart-burn-on-a-bun because that's what it's all about. The food, the quiet sinking into the crowd, listening to the men behind you go from co-workers to soul mates between beers three and four, dodging foul balls, the people watching, cheering when they do, and singing Take Me Out to the Ball Game like you love the Cubbies as much as your mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I am glad that the weather cooperated!
Go Cubs!
-andrew

Anonymous said...

I loved the ivy and the old-timey scoreboard, and the lack of jumbo electronic screens to distract you from what you are there for - the game!

Jessie said...

The game was so much fun. Thanks, Ken, for the tickets!