Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Doily?

So this made me laugh today. My brother and his family moved to a small town in middle America. And when that happens, everyone notices. They've pretty much already been elected mayoral family and pretty much have their own float in the 4th of July parade. They also pretty much know all of the town folks and if not, the town folks know them. The other day, a nice senior citizen lady delivered the gift pictured here. She'd made it for them and their new home. (Doesn't that just melt your heart?) That's not funny, what is funny is that my brother called today and wanted to write the lady a thank you, but didn't know what to call the gift. "What name do you give something like this? I'll send you a picture, check your e-mail." (They took a family photo to give to the lady.) But I failed to know. What is this lack of knowledge? A generational gap? A regional thing? The twenty-first century? We felt ashamed, but googled words long enough to come to the conclusion that you might call it a "doily" and that she may have "crocheted" it. What to do with it? "Frame it?" I guessed. "Or use it as a bookmark, perhaps." Kids today.

No comments: