Friday, June 26, 2009

Guess who got to go on a date to The Bunny Hutch tonight? And they have an old school put-put golf 'round back. Heavenly.

So when I took the photo of the Hutch (through my car window) yesterday, it was literally minutes before Eric called to tell me that Michael Jackson died. Like many, I've spent the past day musing over the memories of his music in my life. Billie Jean was the very first music video I ever laid my eyes on. I remember it well. My mom was excited to suddenly have cable tv (Mtv included!) and MJ came on and she said "Oh look Jessie! It's Michael Jackson." I was right about four when the image was burned in of the epitome of cool walking around on big glowing squares of cement. I also wondered why the cement didn't do the same for me. (Humph.) There were two tapes that I listened to at this young age. Disney's This is the Way We Sing the Songs and Thriller. No joke. As long as my mom came downstairs to flip the tape over, she could get hours of work done while I spun around dancing in the basement. I cut my pop music teeth on Thriller. Still love it.

(Slight digression. I will also never forget when my brother Drew and his friends signed up for the high school talent show, bought afro wigs, and memorized all of the Jackson Five's steps and words to I Want You Back. They performed the perfect lip sync. Oh the laughing. Oh the brilliance.)

Anyhow. True to form, Eric made me come up with my five favorite MJ songs. And they are (depending on mood):

Billie Jean
Wanna be Starting Something
Thriller
The Way You Make Me Feel
and
Man in the Mirror

And remember this? Moonwalker was constantly checked out of the video store because of my brothers. I had almost entirely forgotten about this awesomeness until Drew mentioned it today.

No comments: