Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I was kindly invited to a "Women's Enrichment Morning" at the retirement home where I teach memoir classes. I was touched that they invited me (especially since I didn't quite fit in due to my lack of white hair) and I had a lovely time. The morning ended with lunch. Right away I noticed that in the dining room every place was set with what I thought was a piece of cake. I declared to anyone who would listen that "It's my kind of people who are smart enough to begin a meal with dessert!" My dear lunch companion (Viv) whispered to me that it was probably sandwich loaf. Sandwich loaf. Let me repeat that. Sandwich loaf. It was the single most awesome lunch I've ever had. It was not the tastiest. Not the most refreshing. Not even remotely the most swallowable. But I was delighted to be eating something that could have only been invented in the 50s. I tried so hard all during the meal to not pull my camera out that I couldn't even hold a normal human conversation. But I won the battle and only let my finger twitch toward the zipper on my bag and alas, this photo is just stolen off the internets. But it looked exactly like that. And just seeing a photo of it again makes me want to toss my cookies. In the most glorious way.

2 comments:

allison said...

Oh my god. You had kitsch for lunch! I love you.

Erin said...

From the Gallery of Regrettable Food: http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/misc/susan1.html

You ate a little piece of history, Jess. :)