Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Grete

Folks, this is Grete. One dearly missed Grete. She's in town this week for a wedding, but used to live just around the corner in Evanston. A nice walk for Max and I. We looked forward to coming upon her house, her big porch, Grete on her porch swing, swinging, waving.
Now she has a house and ginormous garden in the mountains of Virginia. It is from this house, from this garden that she is plotting to achieve her life's goal, which is to get all of her friends in the world to move to the same neighborhood. It may be one of the best goals I've ever heard anyone declare. And most ambitious. Grete has first to decide where she wants to live. But then she'll get to work.

Grete also refuses to be pinned down to just five favorite things. She says it's too sad to think of all the other things not on the list. So I've decided to make one up for her (based on very strong evidence and some actual truth).

My take on Grete's five favorite things:
1. A long walk that ends with breakfast, lunch or dinner
2. Swimming (she once tried to teach me some strokes, but I'm hopeless)
3. Sharing books (I still have one or two of hers)
4. Making her own bread
5. Evanston, Illinois (Okay cheap I know, but while she's trying to decide where to end up I thought I'd plug.)

It was so nice to see you today Grete!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not a bad list :)