Thursday, August 14, 2008

Awesome Closets

Well we have a big project cut out for us tonight. I was sitting here doing work real innocent like, when I heard an enormous crash. I was sort of scared that it had to do with the construction right outside our third floor window. But, in actuality, it was the entire insides of Eric's closet. The whole shelf/hanging thing unit just collapsed and everything that was once involved with it is either scattered across the floor or hanging in crumpled bunches off the crappy wire rack. (For the record, every time we look at a house or town house that is new or gut rehabbed, my biggest pet peve, my deal breaker, is if they used crappy wire rack in their closets. No self respecting developer or renovator uses crappy wire rack in their closets. Including whoever renovated this condo fourteen years ago.) Now I know with certainty that my instincts were right and I stand as justified as ever. Not that anyone was arguing with me. But you might as well feel good about something when your closet falls apart just 3 days before your open house and 45 hours before you leave town.

4 comments:

Alpenglocken said...

This happened to us as well. It looks like you have too much weight on the rack. They sell better wall attachments that hold more weight at home depot. BTW, I hope you are not seriously ruling out places due to wire racks... those can be easily replaced. :)

Jessie said...

Well, not ruling out places just because of wire racks, more so just taking it to be indicative of other choices contractors make. In reality, we haven't looked at many rehabs, but places where they have taken major cheapo shortcuts always have crappy wire racks.
I suppose it doesn't always have to be the other way around. :)
Anyhow, off to Home Depot tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Happened to me too, two or three apartments ago. I'm so sorry :( So, exactly how extensive is Sir Eric's wardrobe???

Jessie said...

I can say without pause that it's hefty. :) In fairness mine is more extensive and I got the good closet with all the solid wooden parts original to the building. They just don't build closets like they used to.