Saturday, April 12, 2008

Head of Femur

Last night we ventured out to Schubas Tavern to hear the band Head of Femur. It was a release party for their new album Great Plains (which sports a purple Chimney Rock majesty on the cover). I know a couple of the band members from Lincoln, Nebraska, Pius X High School to be exact, but that's not why I kept my square self out until 1:00 am to listen. They truly rock. I like to believe that I would have stumbled upon this band aside from the hometown draw. They are inventive and unusual yet give a 60s pop loving girl something to shake her shoes to. Personally, I think this Great Plains is their best yet. I liked hearing the whole album live at Schubas here in Chicago on a cold April night but it also took me home to Nebraska in some way. I imagine wanting that album playing in my car on a Friday night years ago as I drive with friends so far and long on "A" Street that we end up in a field of winter wheat. And when most people would flip around and drive home, we would stay right there, stick our heads out the windows and try to identify satellites roaming through the stars.
Yeah, Great Plains should have been playing. It would have been out of this world.

No comments: