Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tamarillo

I'm married to a man who loves smoothies. As a rule, when I'm at a grocery, I try to keep an eye out for fun things he can put into said smoothies and today I got very excited as I spotted loads of exotic frozen Mexican fruit pulps. So I snagged a bunch. Eric usually makes his own smoothie. (He's a master and you just don't mess with that.) But tonight he was running late and I was so excited about my discoveries that I took it upon myself. I grabbed the one that said "Tamarillo" and then kicked myself because I had meant to buy the tamarind instead. Ah well, I thought, any fruit grown in Mexico is a friend of mine. I threw it in with the yogurt and the milk, some ice and some sweetener and blended. Eric dipped a spoon in to catch a taste and turned to me to say, "Um. You just made a tomato smoothie. Would you be offended if I dumped it out and made it stop touching my blender?" Sigh. All for a man who hates tomatoes. Loves smoothies. Hates tomatoes. Had I read just the next line down, even my remedial spanish would have kicked in to tell me that I had a bag of "tree tomato" pulp (sneakily positioned between the pineapple and tamarind at Harvestime Foods). I think we're right back to smoothies made by Eric only.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahahaha, that is gross! Sorry, but I wouldn't drink a tomato smoothie either! Especially with yogurt! And Eric can feel free to make us smoothies at our parents during Christmas!

Jessie said...

Frankly, it was disgusting. ;) I wouldn't eat it either.

Anonymous said...

That said, it was the best tomato smoothie I've ever had.

Anonymous said...

haha, the one and only I am sure!